Frittata has come a long way from being a quintessential Italian omelet to becoming a popular breakfast option across the globe. The simple yet healthy dish is a hit in terms of taste and texture. If you have explored Italian outdoor dining in Hells Kitchen, you’ll easily find frittata on the menu list. Most people think frittata is a close cousin of the French omelet but it is healthier, heartier, and more satisfying than its cousin.
The classic frittata is made mostly with potatoes, pancetta, and roasted onions. Frittatas are very easy to make and you won’t have to spend much time perfecting this delicious recipe. Well, let’s know a bit more about it.
What is a Frittata?
Frittata derives its name from the Italian verb ‘friggere’ which means to fry. It’s mostly made with whisked eggs, veggies, and parmesan cheese. The best thing about this dish is that it is largely flexible. You can make it in a way you want to. Frittata is a quintessential household dish for the Italians. So, if you ever visit Italy, won’t likely find it on the restaurant menus.
How Are Frittatas Different From Omelettes?
A frittata is basically an Italian omelet. There isn’t much difference but the frittata tastes better and is more satisfying. Omelets are usually made with a 1 serving size while Frittatas can serve many people. Plus, ingredients are folded at the center in omelets while in frittatas, the ingredients are mixed with eggs and take much longer to cook.
Frittatas can be made in many different ways but mostly they start with the following:
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese
So, you can either whisk the eggs with milk/cream or choose to use parmesan cheese. Remember that it’s an Italian dish, so you need to use olive oil and butter is not really an option. You can choose the ingredients according to your choice. Feel free to add as many veggies as you want. Just remember to keep a balance or you’ll mess with the texture.
The Variations of Frittatas
The traditional version of Frittata mostly contains potatoes, bacon, and onions. Well, if you are willing to look for some variations. You can try frittata muffins, spinach frittata, egg white frittata, Additionally, you can also add asparagus and exotic veggies. It’s a good idea to stick to seasonal veggies because Italian cuisine is mostly about using fresh produce.
Making The Frittata
1) Start by taking a cast iron skillet and cook onions, potatoes, and pancetta in olive oil. Saute them until golden brown and tender. Maintain medium as you wouldn’t want to rush things.
2) Whisk your eggs with cream, cheese and add it directly to the skillet.
3) If you are cooking it on a stovetop, make sure you use a spoon to keep push the mixture from outside as you do with an omelet. The idea is to push the runny part of the frittata under the cooked part for better consistency.
4) Once the bottom part is cooked and you should flip it over using a plate so that you have the runny part at the bottom. Keep the heat and cook it until it’s done.
5) Another option you have is to use an oven. For that, once the dish is almost done, place the frittata in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 375 degrees. You’ll see that frittata emerges as fluffy and soft.
The best thing about frittatas is that you can serve them in various ways. You can choose to serve with bacon, sausage, pancakes, hashbrowns, and biscuits. Every individual has a distinct preference for taste. So, you can choose the one that satisfies your taste buds.
If you are short of any options and want to taste it before making it yourself, you visit Italian outdoor dining in Hell’s Kitchen.